Sunday 8 January 2012

Forth Plinth Proposal (draft)


The Forth Plinth was first started in 1998 by The Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA). The aim of the project is to commission pieces of art works based upon the ideas of the general public and the Commissioning Group.

My initial idea was to involve ordinary people and invite them onto the plinth, much like Antony Gormley’s One and Other (2009).
This made me think about what people have in common and the differences each person has. As a child I had a diary, and often spent hours where I should be sleeping endlessly writing my feelings and thoughts into this book. Privacy is something which everyone can relate to as many people have it, and many more would like more of it or want to share their own feelings and thoughts. So in my proposal, I would like to include a kind of diary/journal for the public to write in- may it be their wildest fantasy or deepest secret.
I thought about the theory of releasing bright balloons into the sky, each carrying a note from an individual. The visual aspect I think would be contrasting to the dull, pale backdrop of the area. But I feel that this doesn’t really fit well with the ‘Privacy’ part.
I then played with the idea of having a giant diary and stationary for participants to use. They will be encouraged to write bigger than normal so that onlookers will be able to read the contents of their diary, taking away the writers privacy.
The design and placement of the objects I would like to create for the plinth could be made out of old and recycled objects. The diary for instance made from old paper and cardboard, the cover being old school with doodles and stickers upon it. A problem may be found with finding the right stationary to write with. A marker pen or giant pencil may be an idea.
Health and Safety precautions will need to be taken out for this overall idea. A net could be used around the plinth to make sure no one could fall of it. If an incident should occur, a medical team will be placed in close range just in case the transaction from ground to plinth and vice-versa doesn’t go smoothly. Apart from this, anyone from the public will be welcome to participate in the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment