Thursday 10 May 2012

FMP

SECTION ONE – Your Final Major Project
‘Covering the Body’ is about the body, the way it can be used to communicate with an audience and how it can be hidden or camouflaged.
In previous work, I have experimented with paint, food and camouflage on the body. I would like to broaden my knowledge and understanding by researching traditional or religious coverings such as a veil, alongside artists who explore the body and coverings in their work.
I want to learn more about the history of these cultures so that they can influence the style of my work and the way in which they can be viewed.
I am going to construct a series of wearable sculptures that highlight the link between people, their environment and their culture.
I would also like to focus on photography as part of my project as I find it very interesting. As well as this, I want to make coverings from found materials relating to the environments they were taken from.


SECTION TWO – Influences, Research, Sources and Ideas 
I am basing this project on my previous work, therefore I have already researched into artists who have used coverings on the body, for example, Boo Ritzen uses the body to paint on so that it is aesthetically pleasing, whereas Ana Mendieta uses her own body with an environment to outline political issues. I am planning trips to various galleries/museums such as The Imperial War Museum and the Manchester Art Gallery to help me research the reasons why artists have used coverings to hide the body. I will also be able to find information on the internet and also my local library will have many books that will help me.
I would like to research body language, proxemics and artists that use coverings/materials on the body.
All my research will be on my Blog.


SECTION THREE – Techniques, Processes and Timescale
I have constructed a plan for the upcoming eight weeks that will allow me the time to research, experiment and finalise my project.
I want to work with such materials as paper and wire, as well as natural matter.
After researching coverings, I am going to construct my own out of various materials that are specific to an environment. These ‘coverings’ can be worn but will also be a working sculpture which could also be included in the exhibition.
When I have constructed my coverings, I want to take photographs of a person draped in the covering in the original location. The idea behind this is that the covering will be modified so that it replicates the specific area it is placed in, to create a camouflage effect.


SECTION FOUR –  Method of Evaluation
I will receive a peer review through discussions and group critique. This will help me a lot because they are involved with both similar and different work as me, so I will be able to get a lot of varied feedback. I will also complete an ongoing reflective practice log.
Tutor feedback will also help me as it will be another point of view I can work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment